Tuesday 18 March 2014

The Wainwrights



Alfred Wainwright produced his seven-volume Pictorial Guide to the Lakeland Fells  between 1955 and 1966. In total this contains 214 fells (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfred_Wainwright, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Wainwrights).

Starting on 14th June 2014 I will be attempting to complete a circuit on foot of all 214 tops. I have spent many hours picking the best route on maps and refining the lines on the ground. The route I am planning is now around  511km with 36000m of ascent.


Click on the map for the route,



I have also done a fly though on Google Earth





The current record for a continuous route of all 214 tops is held by the legendary Joss Naylor at 7 days 1 hour and 25 minutes (I will write more on the history of attempts in later blogs). Hopefully I can get close to or beat this time, but there are so many things that can go wrong over this sort of distance that I have no idea what will happen and how fast I can go. All I can do is have a go and see how long it takes.

My younger sister has MS and during the round I will be raising money for two MS charities.

I would like to thanks Berghaus for their support in this attempt. It will be a great chance to test out some of their kit.



12 comments:

  1. Wow! Awesome Steve - I'm sure you're all sorted, but if you need any support then just let me know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I second Chris - Awesome and if you need any support just give me a shout as well.

      Delete
  2. All the best Steve it's great to see you still keep going at such a high level of achievement in adventure sports. You are always fully committed to what ever task you undertake.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a challenge Steve but you'll do it for sure! Please tell me where to donate to your charity; my dad has suffered with MS for over 35 years so it's a cause very close to my heart. Tash x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tough challenge Steve! Good luck with it, hope all goes well.
    Dave T

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well Done, Steve,
    Just having the guts to attempt this is quite amazing. Of course, I'm happy to help out in any way I can.
    Joe

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the encouragement and offers of support. I will contact you nearer the time to work details.
    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  7. why is the tracker stuck on Green Crag....

    ReplyDelete
  8. has he made a mistake by missing doing Dow Crag by Coniston Old Man as his intended route took him that way but he went down to Goat Water then up COM....

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree it does look that way but from my experience of my own GPS tracking one does get the occasional blip. You can see he was heading down from COM to the col between COM and Dow Crag. The straight line is the giveaway that some GPS data is missing. No doubt whoever was with Steve at the time will verify in due course

    ReplyDelete
  10. Steve, I have been tracking your progress and reading your blog regularly and am blown away by the size of the undertaking, the support you are receiving and the mental determination you are showing. You are one heck of an inspiration! All the way Steve, All the way!
    Jase

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great Respect Steve. Congrats on your finish tonight in Keswick. Roger and Ann, Loweswatercam.

    ReplyDelete